Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Day 3

Today we learned about the concept of TPACK. I had never heard of it before, but essentially it is a culmination of different types of knowledge we gain in different areas. TPACK is the all encompassing group which stands for Technological Pedagogical And Content Knowledge. This means that a person is well rounded in knowledge in all of these fields. Technological Knowledge is understanding how to use various types of technologies. Pedagogical Knowledge is general knowledge and skills as they relate to teaching. Content Knowledge is an understanding in a particular set of skills or concepts. As a future teacher I am glad I understand this concept. Knowing this will help me become a more well-rounded teacher because I will try to incorporate all of these different groups into my teaching.

We also had the opportunity to explore different science/math technologies that can be used in the classroom. I thought the cooolest one was the thermometers that plugged right into the computer. It can be a great tool to use in the classroom when a project requires readings for different temperatures. It was even fun for us adults to use, so I'm sure that kids would have a blast.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the thermometers were really fun to play with. I think that it would be fun to do an experiment on the temperatures of different objects when they are heated. Whether or not they are conductors. Your description of TPACK is very thorough.

    ReplyDelete